Saturday, December 18, 2010

THE HOLIDAY BLAHS

I have the holiday blahs. I was determined that this year would be different. There was going to be a tree and decorations and the baking of Christmas cookies and all those things that I have very fond memories of. I am so far from bringing those warm reflections to fruition that it’s like a wide divide of one big ass mountain between the want and the reality. Right now I am just ready for Christmas to be over.

Sitting in reflection today I realized that I am just emotionally exhausted. It has truly been a long year. So long and exhausting that I am just too darn tired to think about any holiday spirit. Fortunately, I know that this too will soon pass and me and Old Saint Nick both will be right back to our usual holiday tricks. At least that’s what I am hoping will happen.

Recently I took a trip to Columbus, Georgia to see my baby boy graduate from OSUT training. I am now the immensely proud parent of a United States Army Infantryman. As a parent, there is such a sense of accomplishment when you can witness your child not only do well, but excel at something they want for themselves. There is also great satisfaction in hearing them speak of their life goals and to know that they actually have a viable plan to attain those goals.

I have always been overwhelmingly proud of my son, even when he was challenging my last nerve. He is a young man with a beautiful spirit. He has an exceptional sense of humor and is keenly intelligent. He has never been materialistic or vain. I don’t think he has ever met a stranger and he lives by a code of conduct and honor that made the military the perfect fit for him. He is a man of great integrity. Like most parents experience, we had our period of rebellion where he floundered miserably, but I was fortunate that it was a very short period and he quickly recognized the error of his ways. If he hadn’t, I would have had to break his pretty little neck and I really didn’t want to do that. As he paraded across the field at the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center, I knew that I had done good and he will do even better.

Next up for baby boy is Jump School. On his quest to be a member of one of the Army’s most elite corps he needs to be airborne-qualified. Next up for me is how to make Christmas happen since there is no way for me to stop it from coming all-together. Figuring out the New Year and my own goals is also on tap. I have a few jumps of my own to make and need my own wings to fly. It would seem that my son and I both have our challenges ahead of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

Deborah Mello said...

Merci beaucoup pour les mots gentils.

Debby